The Mechanic analyzes malfunctions and repairs, rebuilds, and maintains construction equipment and vehicles used in installation of underground utilities (sewer, water and storm sewer lines) for municipalities.
- Operates and inspects machines and equipment to diagnose defects.
- Dismantles and reassembles equipment, using hand tools and loader.
- Examines parts for damage or excessive wear, using micrometers and gauges.
- Replaces defective engines and subassemblies.
- Tests overhauled equipment to ensure operating efficiency.
- Welds parts and structural members.
- Adjusts and maintains equipment following a preventative maintenance schedule.
- Makes cost effective decisions based on comparative shopping.
- Maintains an orderly and organize shop.
- Performs other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Measures of Performance (for use on Annual Performance Review)
- Has reported to the job site on time and prepared for work each day
- Has successfully completed the Job Duties as listed above on a consistent and accurate basis.
- Required: Minimum of 2-4 years of specific vocational training.
- Requires a minimum of 2 years of previous related experience and appropriate technical school graduate.
- Ability to maintain and repair excavators, dozers, saws and pumps.
- Ability to operate, maintain and repair loaders and trucks.
- Ability to set up, operate, maintain and repair welder and torch.
- Requires being able to read an instruction manual.
- Requires a basic understanding of electrical, welding, hydraulics and plumbing.
- Must be alert at all times.
- Must have a willingness to learn.
- Ability to communicate effectively with fellow employees.
- Knowledge of all aspects of Safety Requirements.
- Requires frequent standing and bending.
- Requires exerting 20-50 lbs of force occasionally and/or 10-25 lbs of force frequently.
- Requires frequent lifting of more than 50 lbs.
- Requires tolerance of noisy shop environment as well as tolerance of heat when welding or using a torch.
- Ability to have full range of body movements including use of hands to finger, handle or feel objects, construction equipment and operate such equipment while bending, reaching and crouching as necessary.
- Must have command of all 5 senses: sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must have the ability to climb and navigate stairs and ladders
- This position requires the ability to read, write and speak English.
GM Contracting makes every effort to provide good working conditions. The position will be outdoors in various climatic environs. As such the conditions may vary. Conditions may require working in all kinds of adverse weather conditions. Every effort must be made to observe safety regulations.