RN Supervisor (Per Diem)
Come work where your skills will be appreciated and where you will truly make a difference! Ten Broeck Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, a 258-bed skilled nursing facility located in the scenic Hudson Valley, is seeking an energetic, professional registered Per Diem Registered Nurse Supervisor with a positive attitude to join our team.
JOB SUMMARY: Supervises and coordinates activities of nursing personnel, makes staffing adjustments as necessary. Assists and delegates in clinical nursing decisions throughout the building. Fulfills the role of Acting Administrator in the absence of facility administration.
Education: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing and current RN licensure by the state board of nursing. Advanced education is desirable.
Experience: Experience as a charge nurse in which administrative, managerial, and teaching abilities have been demonstrated. Long-term care experience preferred.
Job Knowledge: Must be knowledgeable of nursing and medical practices and procedures, as well as laws, regulations, and guidelines that pertain to the health care field. Knowledge of administrative regulations of the health care field and how they apply to long term care.
Other: Must possess leadership skills in decision-making, problem solving, and interpersonal relations. Must possess supervisory skills supporting the policies of the facility and making decisions consistent with policy in a fair and equitable manner. Must keep up with new trends in nursing and be able to convey this information to others, be able to do new procedures and use equipment and instruct others with clarity, give support where needed and help when needed, set the climate for smooth cooperation between units and shifts for a smooth-running institution. Must be able to use Electronic Medical Records system. Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language. Responsible for actively demonstrating Ten Broeck’s “PRIDE” philosophy of professionalism, responsibility, integrity, dedicated service, and excellence.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of nursing personnel engaged in specific nursing services on each of the nursing units.
- Staffs each unit to reflect staffing needs in accordance with facility staffing policy.
- Participates with the Assistant Director of Nursing and the Director of Nursing in the development and implementation of the philosophy and objectives for nursing service.
- Supervises Charge Nurses in carrying out their responsibilities in the management of nursing care.
- Assures safety of the residents at all times.
- Evaluates performance of charge nurse, professional subordinates and nursing care as a whole, and suggests modifications.
- Inspects unit areas to verify that resident/patient needs are met.
- Participates in planning work of units, and coordinates activities with other units and those of related departments.
- Completes nursing records and facility documentation (including paperwork as assigned).
- Plans and organizes orientation and inservice training for unit staff members and participates in guidance and educational programs.
- Participates in and makes recommendations for disciplinary action for staff. Assists with/completes performance evaluations on direct care staff in consultation with the Unit Manager/Charge Nurse.
- Functions in the role of Registered Nurse: Charge Position if required.
- Reports all cases of alleged violations involving mistreatment, neglect or abuse, including injuries of unknown sources.
- Responsible for safety in area of supervision.
- Demonstrates commitment to equal employment opportunity.
- Appropriate rounds on all nursing units.
- Oversees accountability of assignment sheets, documentation, medication and direct resident care issues.
- Admits or delegates admissions of new residents/patients.
- Determines necessity of calling physician.
- Delegates, assists and reviews shift-to-shift reports.
- Communicates all tour of duty activities to management on next shift.
- Ensure the resident is out of bed, dressed and ready to participate in activities of choice.
- Assist with transportation, if needed, to and from activities.
- Provide assistance with ADL’s during activities, if necessary.
- Assist resident to participate in individual activities of choice (i.e.; set of equipment, positioning assistance, providing sufficient lighting and space).
- Inform residents of various activities available to them even when Activities staff are not available.
- Answers call bells in a polite and timely manner.
- Other duties as requested.
Requires movement throughout entire facility. Able to bend, lift, transport equipment and residents.
Treats residents/patients with respect, dignity, and compassion. Is confidential. Is cooperative and considerate to fellow employees. Is available and willing to assist as needed. Is neat, clean, and properly attired as per dress code. Is available for assigned overtime. Uphold Ten Broeck’s Code of Conduct, conducting myself in an ethical and legal manner and assuring that quality of care is provided to our residents in compliance with all of Ten Broeck’s, New York State, and federal regulations.