Food Services Aide (Part-Time)
Ten Broeck Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing, a 258-bed skilled nursing facility in the scenic Hudson Valley, has Part-Time positions open for Food Services Aides. Under general supervision, this position performs work in the preparation and service of food in the facility.
JOB SUMMARY: Under general supervision, performs work in the preparation, and service of food at Ten Broeck. Is responsible for the maintenance of proper food handling practices in preparation, holding, service, and storage of food. Is responsible for proper use, cleaning, sanitation, and maintenance of equipment and work areas.
Education: Some high school required.
Experience: Experience in a healthcare facility or food service establishment preferred.
Other: Must be able to read, write, and speak the English language. Responsible for actively demonstrating Ten Broeck’s “PRIDE” philosophy of professionalism, responsibility, integrity, dedicated service, and excellence. Requires the ability to work flexible hours as the food service department includes weekends and holidays.
- Cleans kitchen, kitchen equipment and areas relating to Food Service, following approved cleaning and sanitation procedures.
- Loads and unloads, dispatches and stores goods in approved fashion, utilizing appropriate covering, labeling and dating safety/sanitation procedures.
- Is responsible for garbage disposal, sanitation of the garbage units and dumpster area and proper replacement of garbage equipment.
- Set up trays with food and other tray components when assigned to resident food service areas.
- Distributes and collects foods, dishes, utensils, trays and all tray components when assigned to tray distribution and pick up.
- Sets tables, collects dishes, cleans and resets tables.
- Washes dishes, utensils and service/cooking equipment. Operates dish machine, utilize three pot sinks with appropriate safety and sanitation procedures to wash larger items.
- When assigned to Main dining room or resident service areas, organizes the serving of residents and participates in assisting residents as required.
- Reports all cases of alleged violations involving mistreatment, neglect or abuse, including injuries of unknown sources. Ten Broeck Center for Rehabilitation & Nursing
- Participates in inservice education training sessions on regular basis and follows procedures as instructed in those sessions.
- Follows proper food handling and sanitary practices in the preparation, service and clean up of all food service assignments.
- Involved in the preparation of cold food items such as salads, desserts, and sandwiches.
- Wears clean uniforms, proper low-heeled closed shoes and head coverings as required by the department.
- Follows directions and completes special cleaning assignments as directed.
- Adheres to resident’s religious laws as appropriate, e.g. kosher meals.
- Assist with transportation, if needed, to and from activities.
- Assist resident to participate in individual activities of choice (i.e.: set up of equipment, positioning assistance, providing sufficient lighting and space).
- Inform residents of various activities available to them even when Activities staff are not available.
- Assures safety of the residents at all times.
- Answers call bells in a polite and timely manner.
- Other duties as requested.
- Works in and environment of temperature extremes.
- Stands for long periods on hard surfaces.
- Repetitive lifting up to 40 pounds.
- Repetitive pushing and pulling 125 pounds.
- Repetitive bending, stretching and reaching up to 6 feet.
- Safely move from one nursing unit to another within 5 minutes with a food cart.
- Operation of major kitchen equipment such as dish machine, meat slicer, disposal, robot coupe in compliance with labor law.
EXPECTATIONS: Treats residents/patients with respect, dignity, and compassion. Is confidential. Is cooperative and considerate to fellow employees. Is available and willing to assist as needed. Is neat, clean, and properly attired as per dress code. Uphold Ten Broeck’s Code of Conduct, conducting myself in an ethical and legal manner and assuring that quality of care is provided to our residents in compliance with all of Ten Broeck’s, New York State, and federal regulations.